Alto saxophone player André GOUDBEEK was born in Zwolle (The Netherlands) in 1946.
For decades now, he lives in Mechelen, Belgium and has become one of the most important protagonists of free improvised music.
His career has brought him to the foreground of the Belgian and international free jazz scene.
He led his own Full Moon Trio, and was involved in numerous musical projects :
He played a.o. with John TCHICAI, John CARTER, Peter BRÖTZMANN and Barre PHILLIPS.
- various bands of WIM (Werkgroup Improviserende Muzikanten), a.o. the WIM Fanfare (CD WImproveen), a common project with pianist Fred VAN HOVE.
- Various other projects with pianist Fred VAN HOVE : a duo, and the MLB III trio with Ivo VANDER BORGHT, a band which recorded in1988 and toured the former DDR with trumpeter Andy ALTENFELDERT, Spain and the Netherlands.
- Chris McGREGOR's Brotherhood 0f Breath
- The Hommage sax quartet with Luk HOUTKAMP, John RUOCCO and Michel MAST.
- The Willem BREUKER Kollektief (1982-1994), one of the most influential avant-garde bands from Holland : numerous tours, music theater performances.
He recorded his personal music soundtrack to the silent movie "Nanook from the North" (WIMPRO : Wimprodrie CD 130895) (1995).
He currently presents his own quartet, with Bart MARIS (tp), Peter JACQUEMYN (bass) and Dirk WAUTERS (percussion).
The band appears with singer Phil MINTON on their album As it happened on the WIMPRO label (Wimprovijf CD 310399, March '99).
In 2004, the WERF label releases Separate Realities (Werf 043), a live recording with Xu FENGXIA (guzheng, voice) and Joe FONDA (double bass and flute).