"Jacques, you 'pick' like a demon !"
In the acoustic guitar world today, Jacques Stotzem is one of the
"fingerstyle" guitarists with the most diversified style. Born in 1959 in
Verviers, the Belgian guitarist has recorded 8 CDs and is high up on the
list for fans of the acoustic guitar. Readers of the influential German
acoustic guitar magazine "Akustik Gitarre" have likened Stotzem to artists
such as Leo Kottke, Paco De Lucia, Neil Young and Keb' Mo'.
That's not really astonishing. His unique and highly refined playing style
combines a well-developed melodic sense with a rare dynamic approach to the
instrument that speaks directly to the listener. Jacques, unlike many guitar
players today, possesses an in-depth sense of harmonic knowledge, which is
evident throughout his compositions. All of this is cemented together by his
perfect command of the instrument and by his optimistic personality.
Jacques Stotzem has become a regular guest at European and American
festivals and is often invited for tours in Japan or Taiwan.
A highlight in his career is the "Jacques Stotzem signature guitar" released in 2003 by the Irish guitar company Avalon. His guitar-playing colleague Larry Coryell
described Jacques as follows : "What he plays is pure music. As an
instrument he uses the guitar, which he knows very, very well."
FROM THE PRESS:
"Jacques' blend of ragtime and introspective fingerpicking goes down as smoothly as his native Belgium's luscious dark chocolate."
" Interesting was also the question concerning your musical preferences. On the top places, we find Jacques Stotzem as well as Neil Young, Paco De Lucia, Keb' Mo' or Leo Kottke. "
AKUSTIK GITARRE, GERMANY 12/98 (readers poll)
"Belgian guitarist Jacques Stotzem is a formidable musician who matches finesse with a solid blues-based drive."
ACOUSTIC GUITAR, USA 05/1999
" For those of you who, in frustration with the whole new acoustic genre, have thrown up your hands, dis-missing it
as aimless open-tuning meandering, dren-ched in oceanic reverb, I have two words for you : Jacques Stotzem. "
FINGERSTYLE GUITAR, USA 05/1998
- Inner Circle, LOS ANGELES NAMM Show
- Acoustic Café, LOS ANGELES NAMM Show
- Troubadour Club, LOS ANGELES, CA
- All Star Guitar Night, SAN DIEGO, CA
- A.S.I.A. Symposium, EASTON, PA
- Southern Utah University, CEDAR CITY, UT
- Pioneer Opera House, ST. GEORGE, UT
- Temecula Art Gallery, TEMECULA, CA
- Int. Jazz Festival MONTREAL, QUEBEC
- Tour with I. NAKAGAWA and P. FINGER
Great Britain :
- Ards Guitar Festival, NEWTOWNARDS
- Eurowirral Int. Guitar Festival, BIRKENHEAD
- Guest at the Leicester Guitar Show, LEICESTER
- Magic Strings Festival, BERLIN
- Open Strings Festival, OSNABRÜCK
- Guitar Festival, ASCHAFFENBURG
- Guitar Festival EDENKOBEN " simply the best "
- Int. Guitar Festival, WIESLOCH
- Int. Guitar Festival, PADERBORN
- Int. Guitar Night
- Guitar Festival, UNNA
- Int. Music Fair, FRANKFURT
- Concert/Workshop Tour with Lowden Guitars
- Guitare et Patrimoine Festival, DONCHERY
- Côte d'Opale Festival, BOULOGNE sur MER
- A.D.G.P.A. Convention, ISSOUDUN
- Cannes Guitare Festival, CANNES
- Int. Guitar Festival LIEGE
- Audi Jazz Festival
- Belga Jazz Festival
- Gaume Jazz Festival
- Int. Jazz Festival LIEGE
- Acoustic Music Festival PESCARA
- Guitar Festival MASONE
- Int. Acoustic Festival CHIOGGIA
(See top of page for main discography)
|LAST THOUGHT BEFORE SLEEPING||LP, 1982|
|WORDS FROM THE HEART||LP, 1988|
|CLEAR NIGHT||CD, 1991|
|STRAIGHT ON||CD, 1993|
|TWO BRIDGES||CD, 1995|
CD's available from ACOUSTIC MUSIC RECORDS, POSTFACH 1945 D-49009 OSNABRUCK (GERMANY)
ACOUSTIC MUSIC RESOURCES (USA) (TOLL FREE 800-649-4745)
Watch a videoclip with live music and interview on Moodio tv