Artan Buleshkaj, born in Istog (Kosovo) in 1993, is a guitarist and composer based in Ghent. He is active in projects in and outside of the bubbling music scene of the city, in a broad musical spectrum ranging from pop to (freely) improvised music.
A selection of his current projects:
• Anemic Cinema: Artan’s own quartet featuring original compositions for Rob Banken (alto saxophone, clarinet), Steven Delannoye (tenor saxophone, bass clarinet) and Matthias De Waele (drums). Released debut-EP on el NEGOCITO Records (eNR 103,
• H A S T (jazz-rock group led by alto saxophonist Rob Banken): laureate of Theater aan Zee (2016) and kunstencentrum Kaap’s “STORM!”-contest (2018), winner of the JazzTract-prize (Ghent Jazz 2017), released debut album Elegy (december 2018) + follow-up EP Ubi Sunt (february 2021) with N.E.W.S Distribution/Solidude Records.
• Madame Blavatsky (electro/glitchhop-trio led by drummer Marius Couvreur): released debut EP Gallium in march 2017 and the single Steak in the Neck in 2018 (on compilation album Jazz Cats, Sdban Records). Released debut full album Rocket Science in 2020 (own management).
• Mos Ensemble (group led by bass player Kobe Boon): released CD/LP Limbs in January 2019.
• Kids in the Waiting Room (pop group led by actor Thomas van Caeneghem): released first EP in april 2019.
• Amuri e Spiranza (quintet led by soprano saxophonist Pierre Vaiana): released album in april of 2020 with Home records.
• LAS (trio with cellist Lode Vercampt and tenor saxophonist Steven Delannoye): released album titled Homonculus in January of 2020.
A selection of his past projects:
• Marta Rosa (dreampop-group led by Italian singer Marta del Grandi): released their debut record Invertebrates in 2016 and won the Concourioso Pop Contest in the same year.
• BRAIN//CHILD (jazzrock/noise-group, with members from Belgium and Italy): semi- finalist in the Keep an Eye International Jazz Contest Amsterdam.
Released a CD in 2017 with Honolulu Records.
Other recordings/sessions featuring Artan:
• Avia, Guest appearance for the artist Rosa Butsi (from her EP Circle One, released in september of 2020).
Buleshkaj was nominated in 2016 for the SABAM Young Jazz Talent Award and was a finalist of the B-Jazz International Jazz Contest (ed. 2015) with his jazz trio Ruis. He also was a jury member in the finals of aforementioned contest (ed. 2019).
In 2018, he won the Arts in Society Award for a participatory art project he helped set up in WZC Het Heiveld in Ghent. He was also invited to play with the Brussels Jazz Orchestra, for “The Future is Now”, a concert series featuring young solists.
He studied with Hans van Oost (conservatory of Ghent) and Martijn van Interson (conservatory of Amsterdam) and also took private lessons with internationally renowned guitarists Lage Lund, Nir Felder and Gilad Hekselman.
He is currently also teaching guitar and ensemble classes in the academy of Tielt and the APK in Ghent. Since march of 2021 Artan is represented by Inside Jazz Management, for all of his projects as leader
A selection of venues/festivals where Buleshkaj has had the honor of playing:
• Vooruit (Ghent) w/ Madame Blavatsky
• Minardschouwburg (Ghent) w/ H A S T and Mos Ensemble
• Bimhuis (Amsterdam) w/ BRAIN//CHILD
• Podium Sint-Jacobs (Gentse Feesten) w/ Mos Ensemble
• Gent Jazz Festival w/ H A S T and BRAIN//CHILD
• Schouwburg 30CC (Leuven) w/ Ruis
• Brugge Jazz w/ Peter Nolder
• Roeselare Jazz w/ Madame Blavatsky and H A S T
• Marni (Brussels) w/ Tuur Florizoone’s PSÜL
• Handelsbeurs (Ghent) w/ H A S T, Mos Ensemble and Kids in the Waiting Room.
• Bijloke (Ghent) w/ Mos Ensemble
• CC De Ververij w/ Brussels Jazz Orchestra, Mos Ensemble and BRAIN//CHILD
• KC Nona w/ Mos Ensemble
• AB Concertzaal w/H A S T
• Citadelic Festival w/ LAS
• Dommelhof (Neerpelt) w/ H A S T •...
Besides concerts in Belgium, Buleshkaj also regularly plays/tours abroad. His music has already brought him to Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy, The Netherlands, Germany and France.